We’re currently looking for beta testers for TopDesk 1.5, so if you’d like to take part please contact Support. We’re especially interested getting the beta into the hands of users who have used a previous version of TopDesk and have experienced one of the following issues:
- Incompatibility with games and other full screen 3D accelerated applications.
- Non-traditional Alt-Tab behavior while using Flip layout.
- Error messages when running TopDesk at startup.
- TopDesk failing to run after resuming from standby or unlocking.
- TopDesk failing to run under a non-administrator user account.
- Problems using the mouse scroll wheel during tiling.
- Desktop wallpaper changes not being detected.
For everyone interested in what we’ve added in TopDesk 1.5, the new features are:
- Improved Game Compatibility – TopDesk now automatically disables itself when other full screen 3D accelerated applications are open.
- Traditional Alt-Tab Switching In Flip Layout – TopDesk now supports traditional Alt-Tab switching between the two frontmost windows while using Flip layout.
- Reduced Memory Usage – TopDesk now stores data in video memory where possible, which means it uses far less system memory.
- Improved Video Card Compatibility – TopDesk is now runs on more lower-end video cards.
- Improved Application Compatibility – TopDesk now works with more applications.
- Compatibility With Non-Administrator User Accounts – TopDesk now runs under non-administrator user accounts.
- Improved Disable Behavior – TopDesk hot keys are now available for use by other applications while TopDesk is disabled.
- Configuration Minimized Window Transparency – Minimized window transparency can now be turned on or off.
- Configurable Restart Window Enumeration – TopDesk can now enumerate only visible windows when it starts/restarts, preventing minimized windows from appearing while resuming/unlocking a computer.
- Configurable “No Windows To Tile Or Hide” Warning – The “beep” TopDesk sounds when no windows are available to tile or hide can now be turned on or off.
- Bug Fix – Other applications are now prevented from stealing focus while TopDesk is tiling windows.
- Bug Fix – The mouse scroll wheel now works when tiling is activated using mouse hotspots.
- Bug Fix – TopDesk no longer crashes when Explorer crashes.
- Bug Fix – TopDesk no longer exits with an error message when delayed by other applications at system startup.
- Bug Fix – TopDesk now works better when locking/unlocking, resuming from standby or hibernation, and when using Remote Desktop.
- Bug Fix – Desktop wallpaper changes are now always correctly detected.
- Bug Fix – Hebrew/Arabic language windows are now displayed correctly.
- Bug Fix – The ESC key now cancels selection in Flip layout.
- Bug Fix – TopDesk now uses less CPU while disabled.
- Bug Fix – The window tile window title font size is now displayed correctly in Options dialog.
Edit: We’ve now filled all the places in the beta. I’d like to thank everyone for all the interest in the TopDesk 1.5 beta test, and apologize to those users who missed out.